Room Change Requests

A Living-Learning Community

An important aspect of the college experience is learning to coexist with a diverse group of people in a community living environment. Hopefully, this relationship will be positive and rewarding, but it can also be challenging. Differences are normal and offer an opportunity for growth. Conflict exists in all relationships, and it can be an opportunity for interpersonal growth and learning about different people. Sometimes roommates can be close friends; some may not be but can live together respectfully.

It is highly recommended all students review a Roommate Agreement Form with their roommates at the beginning of the year. Many roommate issues are rooted in communication, and the Roommate Agreement Form provides residents an opportunity to discuss their lifestyles and establish mutual rules before the start of the year.

If you are having problems, we encourage all residents to communicate with each other first. Your Resident Assistant (RA) can host a roommate mediation to explore solutions to your situation, and if needed follow-up with the Coordinator for Residential Education (CRE). RAs and CREs are highly trained in communication and conflict resolution, and many times roommate issues can be worked out easily. If both the RA and CRE deem a move would be beneficial, then the Housing Office will examine alternative arrangements.

The Room Change Process

Overview of Process:

  1. Student meets with RA and discusses the current issues being experienced.
  2. RA advises their supervisor (CRE) if a room change is appropriate.
  3. CRE and Housing Coordinator work together to find a space that may work for the student.
  4. Space and date of change* is identified and the student is sent move information.
  5. If a room change is approved, the student has 48 hours to complete their move and turn in their old keys.

Housing Freeze

As stated in the housing contract linked here, the Housing office reserves the right to move students at any time. Any unoccupied spaces within a residential space may be assigned at any time.

However, there is a housing freeze during the first two and last two weeks of each quarter. During this time, Housing Office will not move students unless it is an emergency situation or a pre-approved move. This allows students time to settle in and adjust to a new living/learning environment. After you have lived in your assigned space for a few weeks you will have the opportunity to request a change. 

Requesting a Room Change

The swap process depends on the nature of the change, and whether you are looking to transfer to a space within the college, or to a different college. Generally, any request to swap rooms is a multi-step process that may take several weeks to complete, and are usually performed in the breaks between quarters. 

If it is a roommate situation we encourage all students to attempt working it out with their roommates first. The second step is to have a meeting with the RA to explore possible solutions to the situation. If, after the proposed solutions have been attempted, it is the RA's recommendation a student be moved, they make a recommendation to their supervisor and the process advances to a meeting with the CRE. The CRE will also explore possible solutions, including a mediation with the occupants of the room. If, after solutions have been attempted, it is the CRE's recommendation a student be moved, they will make a recommendation to the Housing Coordinator. At this point, the Housing Coordinator will look for an appropriate space.  The timeframe may be lengthy depending on availability. For other situations be sure to speak to your RA, or make an appointment with the College Nine and John R. Lewis College Housing Office by email at to discuss your situation.

*Note: When requesting a room change, students understand:

  1. They will be charged the appropriate room rate for the type they move into, which may be an increase or decrease from their current housing fee.
  2. Their meal plan may change in accordance with the preferences indicated on the housing application.

Housing Community Transfers

Once you have moved into your assignment, that housing community yours for a year. Should there be an issue that can only be addressed (Title IX incident, DRC housing accommodation, or by a community change, Housing Coordinators will work together to identify potential spaces. However, keep in mind that a transfer request is not a guarantee, and is subject to availability, time of the year, local college policies, and judicial standing. In addition, college affiliates get higher priority than non-affiliates. Questions about transferring colleges can be addressed to your current Housing Coordinator.