Continuing Students

Academic Standing

Academic standing is determined by your term grade point average and your cumulative grade point average. In order to be in good academic standing, both your term and your cumulative GPA must be at least a 2.00.  If you have specific questions about academic standing and your performance, please contact a John R. Lewis College Adviser at For more information about Academic Standing, review our Academic Standing webpage

Enrollment in More than 19 Credits

Enrollment in more than 19 credits is an option for students who are in good academic standing and who have passed all courses in their most recent term. Students with a cumulative GPA of at least a 2.50 may enroll in up to 22 credits without having to obtain college approval beginning the first day of instruction.

Students who do not meet the 2.50 GPA criteria but are in good standing may petition to enroll in more than 19 credits with college approval by submitting the Petition to Increase Credit Limit. These students must demonstrate a record of having passed all attempted classes. Students who are attempting to make up credits due to non-passing grades, part time enrollment, or withdraw grades should consult with a College Adviser to discuss their options before petitioning to increase their credit limit. Students who are on academic probation or subject to disqualification may not petition to exceed the 19 credit limit.

Visiting students e.g. international exchange (reciprocity) limited status students who are required to enroll in more than 19 credits by their home university must submit the Petition to Increase Credit Limit to the College Advising Office for approval.

The online petition to enroll in more than 19 units may be accessed here -- you must be logged into your UCSC email account to access the document. This online petition opens on the first day of finals and ends on the current quarter add/drop/swap deadline. You can find the dates on the academic calendar

Please note that no undergraduate student may enroll in more than 19 credits until the first day of instruction, even with college approval.

Other Resources

This communication guide gives students the tools they need to have difficult conversations with their families. Please check out the How to tell my family? A resource for when your academics don't go as planned.

Here is a guide on how to find transferable courses at your local community college. Oakes Guide: Taking Courses at Community College.

If you are interested in building relationships with your professors and instructors, here is a guide on How to Talk With Your Professors.